Popular Posts

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mom, why do they look at me differently?

Is it my eyes, mom is that why they look at me differently than others?
I try to blend in, I try not to look at them but they gaze at me differently.
She purses her lips quiet.
Is it the clothes I wear, I appreciate everything you buy me mom, but
Maybe if you would buy me better clothes they wouldn’t look at me that way.
Her fingers tremble so she stops chopping the apple with the butter knife.
Mom, maybe it’s the way I smell, I bathe every day and every night
I scrub myself until my skin nearly bleeds.  Mom answer me!
She leans over the kitchen counter looks up to the sky and sighs.
Mom mom! Maybe it’s the way I breathe. I have asthma.
Other kids have asthma too, but perhaps mine is different.
She reaches for a paper towel as she sniffles.
Maybe it’s the things I say. Maybe I say stupid things mom.
He tugs her dress. Is that why they look at me differently. Is it?!
No, that can’t be it, I don’t say anything to them anymore mom.
I keep my mouth completely quiet I don’t say a word. Mom! Mom!
She turns from him and buries her face in the paper towel.
Is it because they know that I still wet the bed? Did you tell them mom?
Mom!! Why would you tell them something like that! Mom, look at me!
She blows her nose, grabs another paper towel and takes a deep breath
Why are you crying mom?  They look at me the same way they look at you!
Do they look at me because of you, mom?!  Mom! It’s you isn’t it!
She takes away the paper towel, and lets the tears drip down her eyes.
It’s you mom! Why did you do this to me mom! WHY?!! I thought it was me…
Do you know how they stare at me? It’s like I’m not human mom? Why?!
She rests her right hand on his small shoulders; her arms trembling.
Don’t touch me mom?! I can’t stand the way they look at me mom.
Why mom! What did you do? What is it mom? Why did you do this to me!!
He buries his face in her bosom as he desperately pounds on her chest.
Oh my dear son she says.  I never wanted you to experience their eyes.
I’ve experienced those eyes my whole life.  And… it is my fault son.
She pulls him closer as he tries to push her off.
Please don’t fight me son!  I’m sorry! Dear god I’m sorry! I shouldn’t have let you been born into this.
I shouldn’t have let you go through the pain I went through because of their stares.
He cries out his tears into her chest as she holds him tighter.
I’m so sorry son.  One day we will die. They can’t stare at us when we are dead.
She squeezes him as his eyes close and the breath slowly leaves his lungs
They stare at us because of our skin she whispers in his ear.
They stare at us because of our ugly cursed black skin.

1 comment:

Jimmy Kopelia said...

thank you for sharing this powerfull and emotional poem cheers Jimmy Kopelia

Post a Comment