Popular Posts

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Conscious Stream of Appreciation

Conscious Stream of Appreciation
Humanity is so wondrous and amazing.  At times, I catch myself mesmerized by things I once thought so trite.  For example, the ability of my fingers to flutter at not even a moment’s thought is fascinating to me at this very moment.  Likewise, the ability I have to inhale air into my lungs which fuels the life of my body, too, is amazing.  However, both these activities are more than simply amazing, they are also something that is not guaranteed.  I have full faculties intact in terms of my nervous system and sensory organs, but it is not as if that had to be the case. 
 Yet, I, and I assume others like myself, seldom pause to reflect on this amazing fact.  There are countless people in the world who cannot even move their eyelids and thereby, in a state of complete paralysis, remain blind to the world.  Yet, perhaps, it is I, and I assume many others, who are the ones actually blind to the world. As stated before, humanity is wondrous and amazing from head to toe, from poetry to prose, from luminous paintings to lucid sculptures, from hardworking business men to giddy indolent childish boys.  Yet, the one thing that amazes even me is our ability to complain and, thereby, not  truly appreciate what we have. 
Now, that is not to say that all complaining is bad.  For I believe, if there is no complaint, then there can be no advancement.  In order to advance, humanity must look back at what it does have and thereafter decide to want something beyond the current circumstance.  I suppose that somewhere in the infancy of our species to modern times that in-between what one had and what one wanted there likely was a complaint immersed in the middle. We as a species had to complain about being nomadic hunter-gathers in order to become semi-sedentary horticulturalists. We as a species had to complain about the toil of dragging wild game, heavy branches, and even ourselves through the coarse grounds, in order to inspire the ingenuity to create the lever, the pulley, and the wheel.  We as a species had to complain about individualized labor inefficiencies in order to create a compartmentalized efficacious society. Thus, perhaps 1) complaint simply is and always has been a human trait or 2) there is some sort of genetic evolutionary benefit to complaint that developed and still survives in our species today. 
With that said, I think, no I insist, that even amongst our complaints, we as a species must also be appreciative.   The truth is that most people, especially those in America, are extremely blessed.  Therefore, I find no fault with complaints about a fairly weak 5.2 earthquake in Virginia, and I find no fault with complaints about an Atlantic hurricane that extended along the east coast delaying flights from New York to the District of Columbia.  I, however, do find fault when those same people puff up their cheeks like Chicken Little and unyieldingly declare that “the world is coming to an end” or that such event is “a sign of the end times.”  Now, I am truly sorry that the earthquake in Virginia caused some people to stumble, cars to fumble, and a few buildings to crumble, but I do not mumble when I say that it did not cause one single death as to humans.   Furthermore, I am truly sorry that Hurricane Irene caused a few billion in damages and the loss of 45 American lives. Yet, one must put into context and take some sort of consideration of what transpired in Haiti, Japan, and Indonesia when viewing these events. 
How arrogant and insipidly foolish does it become to think that civilization as we know it is ending because of a little 5.2 earthquake in Virginia that killed not a single person when over 16,000 died in Japan,  over 100,000 died in Haiti, and over 200,000 in the Indonesia and its bordering countries from much larger and much more devastating earthquakes.  How arrogant and naïve it is to base the existence and continuance of the entire world, consisting of 196 countries,  off of one country, the United States of America.
          Now, I am not claiming that all complaints are that wild and outlandish as to involve the actual upheaval and destruction of world as we know it, but I am asking that we bring our complaints down to earth.  For example, I hear people complain about the recession.  Now, I believe the complaint is incredibly reasonable, but at least appreciate that this is a country where there exists actually hope to climb out of the slump and, even with the slump, the standard of living is still better than 99 percent of all other countries.   When I think of the burden I, and many others carry, I realize it pales in comparison to the burden faced by many others in this country whose burden, likewise, pales in comparison to many others in this world.
Yet, isn’t it such a striking dichotomy, and I base this off of life experiences, that the ones with the least amount seem to be amongst the most appreciative.  I’ve seen, personally, those with hardly any clothes to wear, without electricity, without clean water, without infrastructure, without access to proper medical care,  without the things that I have and have had my whole life, be more content and more appreciative of life than I am. Amongst whatever little things they have and the numerous things that they do not, they remained thankful and full of praise.  Further, I have seen documentaries, read news stories, and kept my ears open to the stories of countless others who remained incalcitrantly full of a high spirited positive outlook on life when it seemed like, based on their life, that they should be the first ones wreathing in dirt filled bitterness and insatiably full of grievances.  
I, for one, am beyond humbled by the example of life that they showed me.  Whenever I feel sad, lonely, stressed, or am experiencing other forms of discontent, I remind myself of the optimistic life that they live. If even one of them could remain appreciative when iniquity seemed to be the one and only thing that correlated with their existence, then why can’t I remain appreciative too when I face so much less. 
 As stated before, humanity is wondrous and amazing. Moreover, we as individuals only have once chance to experience the wonders and amazement of humanity on this planet.  Therefore, I urge that in our relatively short time on this planet that we recognize this, turn from our complaining ways, and become ambassadors and diplomats of the beauty of life by remaining appreciative in the good as well as the bad times.  Thus, although I advise you to take time and smell the roses, more importantly, I advise you to appreciate the wonderful fact that you even can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment